Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

I grew up in a Baptist church. We didn't observe Ash Wednesday or Lent. That was left, I guess, to the Catholics or those persons cleaning their dryers. (really bad joke) Anyway, the church I helped start a few years ago observes this time of the Christian season. We have tried to embrace practices from many religions and walks of faith. Lent for me, like Advent or Rosh Hashanah is a symbol; a vehicle for connecting to the Divine in this world and in me. I need ritual and sacrament to help me focus. Life is just to crazy and busy to do it on my own sometimes. It's also about community. Though Lent is perhaps focused on the individual, it is also practiced in community. I may have questions about faith or God and how God works in my life, but there is comfort in the collective belief. The community of doubters, journeyers, those searching, those that feel confident and strong...this is what church has become for me.

I just spent some time in prayer at the Warehouse my faith community calls home. After my time of prayer and communion, one of the ministers marked my forehead with ashes. Another symbol...for me a symbol of releasing attachment. The Buddhists say that attachement is the source of all suffering. I have no reason to argue. It is traditional to "give up" something during the Lenten season. I've prayed and thought about what that will be for me. The questions arising for me are 1) what gives me false security, 2) what distracts, 3) what keeps me from listening. The last one is what kept coming to me this afternoon. What keeps me from listening...to God, to others- really listening, and listening to my own heart and soul. Computers, TV, busyness, the will to "be right", fear... are just a few that start my list.

I realize that Lent begins today and therefore so should my abstinence. I'm reluctant to pick something just for the sake of doing so. So for today, I'm just going to listen.

"Be still and know that I am God."

3 comments:

Les (Endlessly Restless) said...

I've come to think of Lent as a time to reflect and learn - rather than some token 'giving up' thing. So I think adopt 'real listening' would be a fantastic practice to develop during these six weeks. They say (whoever 'they' are) that it takes six weeks to develop a habit - just a thought!

Anonymous said...

so it's particularly hilarious that the theme yesterday in worship was listening to god ...

nonprofitprophet said...

I like to joke that i gave up cigarettes for Lent, but since I don't smoke them, its pretty insignificant I guess. I agree its more symbolic anyway, and that focusing on God during this time is way more important. Besides, I'm not really all that good at giving up stuff sacrificially.