Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Defining Moment

Last night was a powerful moment in US history. The headlining news of every media channel world-wide has announced the election of America’s first African-American President. I tuned into FoxNews last night just in time to hear Brit Hume call the results for California, and thus, call the election for Barack Obama. I felt such joy and pride, and as I wrote to a fellow Facebook friend, I was speechless.

I voted for Senator Obama. It’s the 1st time in 22 years of being eligible to vote that I voted for a Democrat. This was no small departure for me. And there are those among my family and friends that are quite disappointed. I began paying attention to Obama last year after hearing an interview with him. The journalist asked him about his thoughts on abortion. He first said, “It’s a complex issue. One that is doesn’t have simple answers.” He went on to talk about how he was still working out this issue for himself, both as a politician and a private citizen. It was the 1st time I could recall a politician give something other than a clear black and white answer….for anything. For him to acknowledge the complexity of such an issue (it could have been any issue) and to say publically that he’s still sorting things out…for me, that was impressive. So, I began to listen. And then begin educate myself on one issue, then another. Listening and research morphed into curiosity, then into conversations. I am among the throngs of people who, for the first time, have found interest (dare I say even excitement?!) in politics. There were many others interviews, speeches, and debates to follow that solidified my vote. Though some around me have challenged my opinions, I believe I followed due diligence of research…and my heart.

My generation has many souls that have made their indelible mark on our country….Martin Luther King, Jr., John F. Kennedy, Barbara Jordan and Cesar Chavez to name a few. Perhaps it is premature to put Obama’s name along side of these great people. Yet, I hear in him and see in the work he done up to this point a perspective on life, community, democracy, and government that sets him apart from the crowd. I want that, and need that in a President. He is a fine and gifted orator. And while that doesn’t qualify him to be president, it does pave a way to speak to people of all backgrounds. His words inspire. Again, not a qualification for a world leader, but inspiration is a powerful medium. Inspiration can give people the opportunity to have a different perspective. Inspiration can be a catalyst for courage, risk-taking and dreaming. I think, in part, that is what America did yesterday.

It makes me proud that our country has taken a grand step forward in bridging the gap between the different races our country is home to. (For a wonderful visual aid, checkout my friend
Bob’s blog ) The Civil Rights Movement of the 1960’s was not that long ago. And having TJ live with us during the last 4 years, I have witnessed firsthand the discrimination toward blacks that still exist in the 21st century. At times, I have been appalled and ashamed. But there was no shame in yesterday’s election. I speak of my pride and excitement, though with some hesitancy. There is a part of me that feels like I’m watching something great from the outside. I’m witnessing the fruition from generations of struggle and dreams of a people whose skin is a different color than mine. Though it’s a day for all Americans, it certainly is quite special for my black brothers and sisters. Boundaries and ceilings have been removed. Black Americans have a path for all the opportunities of this great country has to offer. Opportinuties that perhaps I take for granted. This man has given our country and all it's citizens a great gift. I hope one day to meet him. I hope to shake his hand and say thank you.

This is a great, great day for our country and our world. America, I’m proud of you. Not for voting for a Democrat. I’m proud of you, America, for caring. I’m proud of you for dreaming, whoever you voted for. I’m proud of all Americans for taking part in the beautiful gift of democracy we have in this country.

As President Elect Obama said in his speech last night, “This is a defining moment.”

4 comments:

lisa carlton said...

love this post! it is cool to see our generation engaged and open. thanks for sharing your thoughts- very moving.

peace and love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

dead on sister. amen.

'nuff said.

Anonymous said...

To: The Road Less Traveled

I am an editor for the Daily Texan with the University of Texas. A friend of mine send me your blog site due to a vast story we are working on. If I decide I want to use any of your quotes I will of course contact you via your blog for permission.
A few things struck me with your blog:
1. Your quote from Obama regarding abortion is incorrect.
2. You bring up race in your blog over and over -- do you not find it just a LITTLE interesting that 93% of all black people voted for Obama? Do you find that racist? Voting for the color of someone's skin?
3. You say you are proud of America. George Bush got more votes than Obama? This was not a landslide by any means? The "country" as you call it was a 4-5% difference?
4. You call him black. Do you have any feelings about him being 1/2 black and 1/2 white? That is was his white family that raised him as his black father ran out on them?
5. Do you care only about his race? Do you care about his Muslim background? You sited an incorrect quote, but what are your feelings toward this quote? "From Audacity of Hope:'I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

These are a sample of questions that we are using.
Let me end by saying that I am a black male. I appreciate how you have seen "racism" for the last few years, etc. I have seen racism my entire life. Not just by the whites. But by my family - my black family. I have many members voting for the first time in 15+ years -- not knowing ANY of the issues; but knowing the color of his skin. And it looks like 93%felt the same way. Please -
I for one am ashamed of my race for voting for this man based on his skin color. You mention MLK?
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
This man was not voted in due to the content of his character..but was judged by the color of his skin. Period. With 93%...it's really hard to rebuke this point.
Anyway, your blog is one of hundreds that I'm using for the series I'm doing. I will let you know.

OH..One last question seeing you are a woman. Yesterday I saw Gloria Steinem on Oprah.. and found it ironic that she was celebrating the defeat of what would have been the first female VP. So much for feminism.
How do you feel about this? Is it only true feminism if the woman running is a Democrat or liberal? Heaven forbid...what if she was black? What would my people have done? What would you have done?
You might have had to look beyond his race and one issue...
But thank you -- it's because of people such as yourself that I have a weeks worth of stories and front page articles.
Go Horns!
S.

dg said...

Thanks for the post...I have many of the same feelings. I am particularly puzzled by the editor's comments. I don't begrudge him his opinion, but there are several attitudes that I find inconsistent with objective journalism. You can take issue with his voting record on abortion- related legislation...that is able to be documented... but to dismiss a quote as inaccurate without knowing the particulars of its source seems a little presumptious. Also, as a young man who grew up in the deep south in the 50's and 60's, I observed firsthand the hatred, bigotry, and inequities of my African American brothers and sisters. I was in the 6th grade when my town and school were first integrated. I lived 12 miles from the then national headquarters of the Ku Klux Klan. One of my football teammates got the shit beat out of him after a a game with one our rivals... simply because he refused to say anything to them when they abused him and derided him all during the game with the blessing of the refs. So the decision Tuesday night was very personal for me...but I didn't vote for Barack to even up the score for 40 years ago. I voted for Barack because I sense in him an ability to lead, to inspire and to govern. Period. My hunch is you should give many of the 93% of African Americans who voted the benefit of the doubt that they might be able to make a decision on some other basis than race. To think otherwise may be the highest form of racism.