Wednesday, August 27, 2008

History

Politics bore me out of my mind. I've never been interested. I cooperate with the democratic system of this country mostly out of guilt...I'm supposed to care; I'm supposed to vote. I have rarely thought that any given candidate was the savior he, or she, proclaimed. A couple of writers sum it up well for me. I'm an avid South Park fan. I think Trey Parker and Matt Stone are brilliant and hilarious, often giving bold statements about current social issues. As the last Presidential election was taking place in 2004, these boys decided to make their statement about the election. To date, it is absolutely one of my favorite episodes. The boys of South Park have to elect a new school mascot. The choices, one named by Kyle, the other named by Cartman are a Giant Douche Bag and a Turd Sandwich. (Sorry for the crasness...I didn't make this up!!) Their friend, Stan, decides that he doesn't like either candidate and refuses to vote. Bad things begin to happen for poor Stan. Ultimately, following his dad's encouragement, he decides to cast his vote. Stan's father, in all of his wisdom, says, "Son, you are always going to have to choose between a Giant Douche Bag and a Turd Sandwich." Brilliant.

I wouldn't actually characterize either of this years' candiates with those descriptors, but...I'm still flipping a coin. Over the past few years I have felt the spiritual changes in me begin to bleed over into politics. I wish that wasn't the case. Like I said, politics bores me out of my mind. I'm not very educated, and I have absolutely no desire to be smart about politics. Nevertheless, I have been paying attention during this year's campaign. I'm intrigued. At times confused. Usually frustrated. So, I'm watching the DNC. Next week I'll watch the RNC. Maybe I'll learn something!! Doubtful, but there's always hope.

Here's what I really want to say. This country made history today. The United States of America elected the 1st Black presidential nominee. I watched the news this afternoon as the delegate roll call was taken, and the Speaker of the House made it official. Despite whatever apathy I generally have towards politics, I felt unbelievable proud today. I guess there's also a part of it that highlights an embarrasing aspect of our culture. It's unbelievable to me that in the year 2008, blacks and whites still experience so much inequality. But that feeling holds a back seat, at least for today. I just feel very, very proud. I don't know if this is the right guy. I hope he is; I want him to be. Elected as President or not, history was made. And I think that's pretty damn cool.

4 comments:

nonprofitprophet said...

KJ - I actually used to LOVE politics. Had it as my major in college at one time. It has its importance as it affects our lives on a daily basis. I have become disillusioned however with the whole thing for the most part. Initially I was intrigued by Barak and hoped, maybe, that the time had come for a true thinker who could cross the divide and get something accomplished. But the more I watch I am less convinced this is the case. I am not thrilled by mccain either. So I've had to revert to who "i feel" is more reflective of my stance on certain issues. Thats it. And this campaign isn't giving me much substance to gauge even that by. Though some disparity probably still exists,I think it has lessened alot over the decades however, and I see more of a disparity between haves and have nots lately, no matter your race. I was hoping this election would get us past name calling and labels and associations, and for once someone would actually deal with issues. I'm an idealist and an optimist by nature, and I get disillusioned over and over again. ~npp

KJ said...

maybe we can create one of those triangle paper things we used to play with in elementary school. 'member those? You pick one something and then your friend makes the little paper do-dad give you a different choice and you pick again; repeat. Finally, you're told who your going to marry, how many kids you'll have and what you'll be when you grow up. so...make these guys make a few picks. whoever lands on the one that says "President" wins. I think this would be much more entertaining.

nonprofitprophet said...

HAAAAAAA!!!! thats an excellent idea. Its actually more creative than rock/paper/scissors! lol. funny stuff there K.J. ~npp

Wes Phillips said...

For me, I'm listening carefully to the positions being espoused by both tickets and voting on Principle, not on race. I agree it's momentous for a major party in America to have nominated a black man - I share your enthusiasm about that. However, imho, race (nor gender) should not influence my decision at all. My goal is to vote with my eyes WIDE open to the Person whom EACH candidate actually is in private - reflected by the Principles they have demonstrated in Public. God bless our TROOPS and their sacrificial families...and God bless the USA! ! !