Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Purple elephants

The title has absolutely nothing to do with this blog. Giving a title to my blabbing most often eludes me. Today, for some odd reason, those are the words that first darted across my mind.

Anyway, I was in a Bible Study recently where the lady leading the discussion asked the group, "Can you be happy and still be doing the right thing?" My immediate response (to myself) was, "yes." Others responded out loud with "yes-es" and "no-s." The leader, ask a few more questions and then talked about how she believes that you can't. I didn't catch much of her reason, I was too immersed in my own thoughts. There are some areas of my life right now that just don't make me happy. Yet, I do believe that I'm in the right place. When I started my blog, my intention was for it to be anonymous. But now, people I know tell me all the time that they've read my blog. It's kind of cool, but it also makes a difference at times what I write. Today, out of respect for others, I'll be general. But let me just say that relationships are hard. Or at least, I certainly seem to make some hard!! Alas. I'm told, and I believe, that others can be a very good mirror for our own lives. What you see in others...those things that push your buttons; behaviors that annoy you...is really a reflection of yourself. This really sucks. I seem to be annoyed frequently these days. So, I'm getting the chance to see things about myself that deserve some work. Or maybe that's just a question. If I'm being given the opportunity to pull back the veil on my stuff, then isn't this the right place to be? But I'm not very happy. For me all this pyscho-babble begs the question...."when is other people's stuff just their stuff and it's got nothing to do with me?" Some of my circumstances right now remind me of experiences from childhood. The short story is that I'm a child of an alcoholic; a rageful alcoholic. If my life right now is repeating (even to some extent) experiences from back then...then it really is about my stuff and not another person. Yes? Today is helping me work through the past? Or when are other people just toxic? I don't play arm-chair Shrink very well. When all these questions start swirling in my head, I get overwhelmed. Better said, I become paralyzed; numb. "My head hurts and I dont' want to think about this anymore."

Happy Tuesday everyone!! Hah, hah. Not a very upbeat entry, but this is where I am today, so this is what you get!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl...
looks like we are way past due for some coffee and talk... :)
Lorri

To him said...

hi there, I came across your blog and wanted to say I enjoyed your insights.

Thanks for sharing~

nonprofitprophet said...

KJ - purple elephants. you are describing "passion" (purple) about things that are obvious and you can't ignore in your life "elephants". Well, thats all the b.s. i got for ya on that.

what kind of question is that: Can you be happy and still be doing the right thing? what kind of crazy question is that? does it even go together? dude, it depends on the thing. some people are happy getting a divorce - and it may or may not be the right thing. some people are crabby serving communion... who knows.

i understand the anonymous thing, though most here in my area don't know...and it does free me up to write more honestly and openly.

i dont' know if anyone, except Ricky D of course, thats happy with all aspects of their lives. just teasing rick.

uh, hmmm., some relationships are hard for me as well. some are so easy its not funny. i'm just being cras here, but being introspective is okay - but sometimes, yeah, its the other person who is a jerk and pissing you off. and no, that won't make you happy.

i've been told I'm responsible for my own happiness. and i guess in an overall view thats right. but hey, does it hurt for the other person to kinda help out in this respect! jeeeezus.

glad you blogged. ~npp