Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year

Life has seasons; or at least I think there are in my life. For the past couple of months or so, I seem to be in a place that…it’s been hard to describe. I’m not particularly motivated towards anything; generally low-key emotionally but easily frustrated and impatient, introspective but no action taken from my discoveries…ugh…like I said, hard to describe. Kind of stuck, I suppose. There are many things I enjoy, I laugh, have fun, throw parties…yet somehow disconnected.

I had lunch with a friend just before Christmas. She talked of her “seasons.” I heard of this idea before, but never really looked at my own life. If I take a look at my life over 39 years, I can see a pattern of big life events that happen during the last few months of the year. My father’s death, the downfall of my first marriage, career changes (or lay-offs), my parents divorce…to name a few. But there have been good things as well: my father’s wedding to his 2nd wife, my graduation from Baylor, getting engaged. A therapist I see from time to time talks of how the body holds memories. So..."What memories does my body remember during this time of year?" This idea intrigues me. And yet, I wonder that my current “state” is the result of work being extremely slow. I’m a total commission sales person. So, it’s a scary, frustrating and boring time. I’m also dealing with some really hard work in my marriage. One that continues to remind me the chaotic home I grew up in. Just those two things are pretty big. It makes sense that those situations alone would be enough to make an introvert crawl into her shell. So…is it choice A or choice B? Or choice C…all of the above? I've always hated multiple choice questions. I guess I want reasons or answers…so I can fix this and move on. It’s frustrating. Intellectually, I know that down times have their purpose. It’s sometimes just hard to accept. Nature has its seasons. Autumn and Winter are necessary. Stillness and dormancy have their purpose. I feel drawn to explore this time; yet I draw in very close to myself. Which, I suppose, it why I haven’t been blogging.

Not a very upbeat New Year’s message! But I’ve missed writing; I'mmaking myself sit and write today! Everyone is gone today and my home is quiet for the 1st time in a month; makes it easier to do some things that are just for me. Thanks for listening.

8 comments:

nonprofitprophet said...

Oh yeah, seasons. Also, the big 40 is coming up. Reflection. Someone once told me that mountain top experiences are great - but the real growing happens in the valley, the low times. Its true I think. good post. ~npp

KJ said...

Yeah...40. I've been thinking about that....mostly about the Biblical symbolism of 40 years. Don't know.

Thanks!

Les (Endlessly Restless) said...

KJ

Your entry - along with some family stuff that's going on at the moment - made me think about a prayer by David Adam. You can find it over at my place today.

I really love his prayers - and blogged a while back about his book Mirror Images. His wealth of pastoral experience seems to resonate from his books - well for me anyway.

Another thing that helps me through tough times is the stablility of routine (Some would say I'm a bit anal about it!) However, the rhythm of life is important - and the sun will come out tomorrow (cue for a song ...?) however dark the night seems.

nonprofitprophet said...

oh god - the biblical symbolism! never thought about that... days of rain... wondering in the wilderness... oh ha haaaa ahahaaha that cracks me up. Actually, 30 messed with me more than 40 did (mentally - not physically)...

KJ said...

npp, wondering in the wilderness...wandering in the wilderness...it's all a bitch. LOL! yeah, 30 was weird. I'm really not ready to think about forty, mentally. And I choose to just ignore any physical ramifications for being 40.

nonprofitprophet said...

yse - i saw the "wondering" "wandering" thing after I commented. See, just lends credence to my post about grammer. Ugh. And the revrinricky being an English major just makes me more self conscious. ;)

nonprofitprophet said...

yse = yes. damnit. finger dyslexia - i'm not kidding! ~npp

KJ said...

hah, hah, npp! yep...I agree about the Revrin...his daughter is worse, though. She corrects me lots.